Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eccentrick at Ward? Oh my!

Mary Ward's Art and Technology departments certainly kicked it up a notch for this years art show. The theme was Eccentrick, and boy was it ever! Students put aside their units and stopped by the basement to truly experience it. I for one, found myself there for several hours wondering around, winding in between displays, or sitting in a room watching some fabulous videos. An art show at Ward really is an experience. It is an interactive gallery that lets you view the creations of those in your school. You get the chance to finally see all the creative talents Ward has as they strive to impress just in time for the show. A lot of the time, these displays involve some interaction which is always a plus. Some may say an hour is all you need, but that really isn't enough time to take it all in. Students work so hard throughout the year, so noticing every detail or reading all the associated text is worth it. Photography, drawings, installations, paintings, stuffed animals, jewelry design galore. The works featured this year by all students were quite impressive, and there are a few worth mentioning.

The senior design students all had fantastic designs to share. As a future design student, seeing what others are capable of makes me hopeful. In particular, I loved the February 14th collection. The fabric choices were exquisite and construction was impressive also. The senior video students also made some very entertaining videos. I was sad I didn't have the chance to see all of them, but I was impressed with the ones I did. Another memorable piece was the grade 10 art student's Eccentrick circus train. Each train caravan was something different, and really did reflect the artist. I felt this piece best brought out the Eccentrick theme. I loved its diversity, complexity of thoughts put into it, and the detail work. I have seen a few friends struggle with their clay pieces working on it, and it definitely paid off!

Congratulations to Ward for putting forth yet another fantastic show. I personally enjoyed it, and I sure am excited for next year.

2 comments:

sandra said...

i really like your stuff in the art show ! (:
and the video you made
good job ! :D

Samantha.B said...

Awesome blog Sonya. I agree the videos were great (especially ours ;)). Anyways that is quite true, I did end up putting away my units away for a week, but the art show made it worth it:)
And yes the fashion was excellent! I would actually buy some of it!