Thursday, June 4, 2009

"Everything is Amazing and Nobody's Happy"


The video clip featuring comedian Louis C.K is not only humorous but also insightful. Society today is endowed with technologies that are far less appreciated than in the past. Louis makes a good point in discussing how technology has developed throughout the years and how individuals now have become so accustomed to such incredible machinery that when there is a lack of it, the world almost seems impossible to live in. I found the entire clip fascinating but I particularly enjoyed his personal experience with technology when he was a kid. Louis stated that he used rotary phones and how he found it difficult dialing a number especially the zeroes. Now, society uses cell phones that have speaker phone, touch-dial, Bluetooth, and are voice activated yet we still complain when the phone is slow in loading and such. This is a perfect example of how technology is so amazing, yet we are still not completely satisfied. Due to the fact that technology is so accessible, we take advantage of it, however, we must learn to appreciate it.

Technology is a very important tool in my life. Without it, I would have a harder time communicating, learning, expressing my creativity, entertaining myself, and living in general. My life everyday consists of technology whether it is getting woken up by my clock radio, brushing my teeth with my electric toothbrush, calling my friends using my cell phone, educating myself through the Internet encyclopedia, or relaxing in front the television. Technology brings ease and imagination in my life and although, I sometimes forget to show my appreciation, I am so thankful for the amazing technologically-savvy world we live in.

Technology is advancing at such a fast rate that when baby boomers were growing up, they would have never imagined machinery and electronics progressing to such a level. When my parents were my age, they played records and cassettes whereas now we are introduced to iPod’s and digital tracks. There was no convenient way of banking, shopping or doing ones taxes whereas now we have online banking, shopping and tax software. Communication during my parent’s time consisted of conversing in person or on a land line phone but today we communicate through online instant messaging, wireless phones, social networking websites and webcams. It is mind-blowing to see how far technology has come and how fast its advancing. It is quite difficult to imagine that one day even our iPohones will be outdated.

No comments: